|This insurance is arranged by Supercover
Insurance Ltd with UK Underwriting Limited on behalf of:
Fortis Insurance Limited, Registered in England No.354568. Registered Office: Fortis House, Tollgate, Eastleigh,
Hampshire, SO53 3YA.
Supercover Insurance Ltd , UK Underwriting Limited and Fortis Insurance Limited are authorised and regulated by
the Financial Services Authority. This can be checked on the FSA’s register by visiting the FSA’s website at
www.fsa.gov.uk/register or by contacting them on 0845 606 1234.
In return for the payment of your premium we will provide insurance for your electronic equipment during the
period of cover as stated in the application form overleaf, subject to the terms, conditions, and limitations shown
below or as amended in writing by us.
This contract of insurance is renewable annually but can be paid monthly or annually.
For insurance policies paid monthly, the policy is only in force if the monthly premium has been paid.
This cover is limited to one replacement per year.
The words and phrases defined below have the same meaning wherever they appear in bold in this certificate.
Commercial vehicle - any vehicle used wholly or partly for commercial or business purposes or any other vehicle
that is being used for commercial or business purposes at the time of any loss or damage to the electronic item.
Electronic equipment – the items insured by this certificate, purchased by you and provided by a supplier
approved by us.
Immediate family – your mother, father, son, daughter, spouse, domestic partner.
Period of cover – for monthly policies 1 (one) calendar month from the inception date, renewing monthly on the
same day each month (the last day of the month will apply appropriately to each month) provided the monthly
premium is paid. For policies of longer duration the period is specified in your Letter of Introduction.
Reasonable precautions – all measures that it would be reasonable to expect a person to take in the circumstances
to prevent accidental loss, damage or theft of your electronic equipment.
Terrorism means any act, including but not limited to the use of force or violence of the threat thereof, of any
person or group of persons, whether acting alone or on behalf of or in connection with any organization or
government, committed for political, religious, ideological or similar purposes, including the intention to influence
any government to put the public or any section of the public in fear.
Unattended – not within your sight at all times and out of your arms-length reach.
We, us, our – UK Underwriting Ltd, on behalf of Fortis Insurance Limited
You, your – the person, who owns the electronic equipment as stated on the application form overleaf.
WHAT WE WILL COVER
A. Accidental Damage
We will pay repair costs if your electronic equipment is damaged as the result of an accident.
If your electronic equipment is stolen we will replace it. Where only part or parts of your electronic equipment
have been stolen, we will only replace that part or parts.
C. Accidental Loss
If you lose your mobile phone or PDA we will replace it (excludes iPhones which are not covered for loss). No
other electronic equipment is insured for loss.
D. Breakdown which occurs outside of the manufacturers guarantee period. This cover is not available on laptops
WHAT WE WILL NOT COVER
Your electronic equipment is not covered for:
• from any commercial vehicle, convertible or soft top vehicle;
• from any motor vehicle where you or someone acting on your behalf is not in the vehicle, unless the electronic
equipment has been concealed in a locked boot, locked glove compartment or other locked internal compartment
and all the vehicle’s windows and doors closed and locked and all security systems have been activated;
• from any building, land or premises unless force, resulting in damage to the building or premises, was used to gain
entry or exit;
• from your control or the control of any member of your immediate family, except where it has been concealed
either on or about the person and not left unattended, or the use of physical force or violence against the person has
been used or threatened;
• where the electronic equipment has been left unattended when it is away from your home;
• where reasonable precautions have not been taken;
• if the serial number has been tampered with in any way.
2. Loss or damage caused by:
• you deliberately damaging or neglecting the electronic equipment;
• you not following the manufacturer’s instructions;
• routine servicing, inspection, maintenance or cleaning;
• the use of accessories.
• if left on any motor vehicle roof, bonnet or boot;
3. Repair or other costs for:
• routine servicing, inspection, maintenance or cleaning;
• loss caused by a manufacturer’s defect or recall of the electronic equipment;
• replacement of or adjustment to fittings, control knobs or buttons, batteries or aerials;
• repairs carried out by persons not authorised by us;
• wear and tear or gradual deterioration of performance.
• Cosmetic damage of any kind.
4. Any kind of damage whatsoever unless the damaged electronic equipment is provided for repair.
5. Any loss involving a SIM (subscriber identity module) card.
6. Any expense incurred as a result of not being able to use the electronic equipment, or any loss other than the
repair or replacement costs of the electronic equipment unless relating to unauthorized call use for your mobile
phone up to the maximum value of £100.
7. An excess fee for all claims which must be paid before your claim can be approved. If your claim is for a laptop,
there is a £75 excess fee for each claim within the UK and £100 for any international claim.
If your claim is for an iPhone, the excess fee is £100 for any claim. For all other items, there is an excess fee of £25
for theft / damage claims and £50 for loss claims (mobile phones only) and £75 for international claims.
8. Loss of or damage to accessories of any kind.
9. Any loss or damage caused by the failure of any electrical or computer equipment, software, micro-controller,
microchip, accessories or associated equipment to correctly recognise and process any calendar date or time.
10. If a SIM card was not in a mobile phone at the time of the loss, damage or theft that was registered to you.
11. Reconnection costs or subscription fees of any kind.
12. The cost of replacing any personalised ring tones or graphics, downloaded material or software.
Please note: if you are insuring an item without SIM card capability, all exclusions relating to SIM cards are
13. War Risk
Terrorism, war, invasion, acts of foreign enemies, hostilities whether war is declared or not, civil war, rebellion,
revolution insurrection, military or usurped power, confiscation, nationalism or requisition or destruction or damage
to property by or under the order of any government or public or legal authority.
14. Nuclear Risk
Damage or destruction caused by, contributed to or arising from:
a. ionizing radiation or contamination by radioactivity from any nuclear fuel or from any nuclear waste from the
combustion of nuclear fuel; or
b. the radioactive, toxic, explosive or other hazardous properties of any explosive nuclear assembly or component
15. Sonic Boom
Damage or destruction directly occasioned by pressure waves caused by aircraft or other aerial devices traveling at
sonic or supersonic speeds.
16. Loss of Data or Software
Any loss of or damage to information or data or software contained in or stored on the electronic equipment
whether arising as a result of a claim paid by this insurance or otherwise.
17. Any indirect loss or damage resulting from the event which caused the claim under this policy;
18. Liability of whatsoever nature arising from ownership or use of the electronic equipment, including any illness
or injury resulting from it.
19. Value Added Tax (VAT) where you are registered with HM Revenue and Customs for VAT.
1. This policy offers replacement only and is not a replacement as new policy. If the electronic equipment cannot
be replaced with an identical electronic equipment of the same age and condition, we will replace it with one of
comparable specification or the equivalent value taking into account the age and condition of the original electronic
2. In the event of a valid claim resulting in the replacement of the electronic equipment, this policy will not
automatically cover the item or items of replacement equipment during the remainder of the policy year in which
the claim has been settled. However, the replacement electronic equipment may be insured on payment of an
additional premium, which will be proportionate to the value of the replacement equipment.
3.If you pay for your insurance monthly and make a claim you will be required to pay the remainder of the annual
premium before we can process your claim.
CONDITIONS AND LIMITATIONS
1. Unless we have agreed differently with you, English law and the decisions of English courts will govern this
2. This insurance only covers electronic equipment bought and used in the UK, the Isle of Man and the Channel
Islands. Cover is extended to include use of the electronic equipment anywhere in the world up to a maximum of
60 days in total, in any single 12 month period, subject to any repairs being carried out in the UK by repairers
approved by us.
3. The electronic item must be less than 6 months old with valid proof of purchase (not from online auctions) when
the policy is started.
4. You must provide us with any receipts, documents or proof of purchase, that it is reasonable for us to request.
5. This insurance may only be altered, varied or its conditions altered or premium changed by one of our authorized
officials, giving you 30 days notice in writing.
6. We may cancel the policy by giving you 30 days notice in writing. In the event of any claim you are responsible
for the payment of any outstanding premium.
7. You cannot transfer the insurance to someone else or to any other electronic equipment without our written
8. You must take all reasonable precautions to prevent any loss or damage.
9. Cover excludes costs or payments recoverable from any party, under the terms of any other contract, guarantee,
warranty, or insurance.
Your right to change your mind. You may cancel the insurance, without giving reason, by sending us written
notice and returning the insurance documents within 14 days of it starting or (if later) within 14 days of you
receiving the insurance documents.
Cancellation after the withdrawal period
If you wish to cancel your insurance after the initial period you can do so by writing to Supercover Insurance Ltd,
602 Cumberland House, 80 Scrubs Lane, London, NW10 6RF, or by telephoning 0871 222 1130, or by emailing
An administration fee shall be due equal to 25% of the annual premium with a minimum fee applying of £10.
1. You must:
• notify Supercover Insurance Ltd on 0871 222 1130 as soon as possible but in any event within 48 hours of any
incident likely to give rise to a claim under this insurance;
• report the theft or loss of any mobile phone or PDA, within 12 hours of discovery to your Airtime Provider and
blacklist your handset;
• report the theft or loss of any electronic equipment to the Police within 24 hours of discovery and obtain a crime
• provide us with details of the claim and any other contract, guarantee, warranty or insurance that may apply to the
loss including but not limited to household insurance. Where appropriate a ratable proportion of the claim may be
recovered direct from these Insurers.
2. If we replace your electronic equipment the damaged or lost item becomes ours. If it is returned or found you
must notify us and send it to us if we ask you to.
UK Underwriting Limited are an agent of Fortis Insurance Limited and in the matters of a claim act on their behalf.
To help us improve our service we may record or monitor telephone calls.
We will process your claim under the terms and conditions of this insurance based on the first reason notified to us
for the claim. If your claim is not covered and you then submit a claim having changed the reason we consider this
as fraud. Details of all such cases will be passed to appropriate agencies for action.
It is the intention to give you the best possible service but if you do have any questions or concerns about this
insurance or the handling of a claim you should in the first instance contact Supercover’s Customer Services
Director. The contact details are:
The Customer Services Director
602 Cumberland House, 80 Scrubs Lane, London, NW10 6RF
Tel: 0871 222 1130
Fax: 0871 222 3228
Please ensure your policy number is quoted in all correspondence to assist a quick and efficient response.
In the event you remain dissatisfied and wish to make a complaint, you can do so by contacting the following:
The Customer Relations Manager, UK Underwriting Limited, Cast House, Old Mill Business Park, Gibraltar Island
Road, Leeds, LS10 1RJ. Tel: 0845 218 2685 Email: email@example.com
If it is not possible to reach an agreement, you have the right to make an appeal to the Financial Ombudsman
Service. This also applies if you are insured in a business capacity and have an annual turnover of less than €2
million and fewer than ten staff. You may contact the Financial Ombudsman Service at:
The Financial Ombudsman Service, South Quay Plaza, 183 Marsh Wall, Docklands, London, E14 9SR.
Tel: 0845 080 1800
The above complaints procedure is in addition to your statutory rights as a consumer. For further information about
your statutory rights contact your local authority Trading Standards Service or Citizens Advice Bureau.
Fortis Insurance Limited is covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). You may be entitled
to compensation from the scheme, if they cannot meet their obligations. This depends on the type of business and
the circumstances of the claim. Most insurance contracts are covered for 90% of the claim with no upper limit.
You can get more information about compensation scheme arrangements from the FSCS or visit www.fscs.org.uk
DATA PROTECTION ACT 1998
Supercover Insurance Ltd does not pass any personal data about you to any third parties. When you apply for
insurance and/or make a claim, you will be required to disclose relevant personal data about yourself to Supercover
or their agents, including data which is deemed "sensitive" under the Data Protection Act 1998. Your explicit
consent to the processing of this data, which is required under the Data Protection Act 1998, will be requested at the
time of purchase or when you make a claim. Please note that any information that you provide to Supercover may
be shared with other insurers, for the purpose of preventing fraudulent claims. All information provided by yourself
will be used by Supercover its agents and associated companies, other insurers, regulators, industry and public
bodies (including the police) and agencies to process this insurance and any upgrade to this insurance, handle
claims relating to this insurance and prevent fraud.